Friday, May 21, 2010

Project: Family Tree

After seeing adorable trees painted on walls all over the place on the internet and friends facebook pages I decided that I just had to do one myself! I had this extra space on Addi's wall after taking down her canopy (which she would pull through the slats in her crib and became a hazard so it had to go) and I wasn't sure what to do with it. After seeing yet another person with a beautiful tree painted on their daughters wall I knew what I had to do! A Family Tree!! I had a bunch of ideas on how to do it so I went down to Michaels to see what they might have to make it happen. I knew I wanted picture frames to hang on the tree of all our immediate family members. Luck would have it that they had these cute leaf shaped frames on sale for .99! I snatched up all of them (Luckily they had the exact amount I needed) and than everything else fell into place. I found awesome metallic paint to make leaves and a cute bird house to hang in the tree and pretty flowers to bloom from the branches!! If you know me well, I have no patience once I get an idea in my head. I raced home and thankfully Addi was ready for a nap. A long one too! I got all the leaves and the birdhouse painted. I drew out my "blueprints" and once she woke up I drew my template on the wall behind her crib. Once Kyle came home from work I got right to it and quickly painted the tree on the wall. Then after some help from Kyle with placing the frames on the wall I finished in record time! Total of about three hours including the painting of the frames and everything! I am so pleased with the outcome and can't wait to take individual pics of our Family to put in the frames! Here is the pics of my process:)

All the supplies

The Painted Frames

The Painted Birdhouse

The sketch on the wall

The tree is painted and the frames are marked for placement

The frames are in place

The leaves are painted on

The flowers and glitter swirls are painted on

Complete!! Just need the pictures:)


The Birdhouse

Frame, Flowers and Glitter Swirls

Mr. Caterpillar!

Our Family Tree!